As many have warned me, this first week back from my R&R leave has been the most emotionally down time of my deployment. I won't say it's been the hardest week as my workload wasn't too bad, but I've been weary in mind and soul. The weather and my disposition are looking up though.
My return was immensely improved by a few waiting packages from my in-laws and my colleagues at Cal Poly. Having comfort food--Oreos, Chocolate Frosted Fudge Pop Tarts, good coffee--has been nice.
I was also moved this week by finishing Doris Kearn Goodwin's account of Abraham Lincoln's wartime cabinet, Team of Rivals. Lincoln's character deeply impressed me as an example of humility, graciousness, and strength. Reflecting on his leadership caused me to invert this common idiom:
Leaders make molehills out of mountains.
Sunday, March 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
It has been blue here at home, too, my love. Today in church we watched a clip from Chariots of Fire, and the determination on Eric Liddell's face as he ran was inspiring to me as I think of these next four months and what it will take to get through each day.
I liked your reverse idiom...I think mothers do well to make molehills out of mountains as well!
all my love, Amy
praying for you all. did you know that derek & my honeymoon included a mom with four kids whose husband was in Bosnia for 180 days? The kids would wake us up in our honeymoon home by knocking on our beach house windows. The kids would have faces painted with '94 days left' and 'I Love My Daddy.' We happily shared our honeymoon with this family, took trips with them, etc. I love the 'molehills out of mountains' quote. Your digging in to see this through is teaching us all...
Liam, we pray for you and your family at home every day. We're hoping the next four months fly by safely.
Love, Valerie Stoltey & family
Post a Comment