Monday, April 20, 2009

First US Navy Jack


Here you see me sporting the newly authorized bling that every deployed sailor needs: a subdued version of the first U.S. Navy Jack, approved for wear on the Army Combat Uniform. It's a little known fact that any national ensign that has ever been used in the U.S. remains an authorized national ensign. The "Don't Tread on Me" flag was the first national flag flown on a U.S. Navy ship. Now us sailors in theater can wear a little bit of Navy history to keep us tied to the sea in this landlocked country.

Other news since I've been back: this Easter, I had a hot cross bun for brunch. Stephen has indelibly marked the tune on my mind as it was his first piano song (quickly followed by a version of Ode to Joy which still impresses me). Now I have had the experience of eating one too.

The lonely rose bush is blooming again. Dust levels here aren't bad yet. I'll try to get a picture of it soon.

I went for a stretch of weeks without chocolate frosted pop tarts. . . and I lived! The coffee brewer in our shop broke when we moved into a new building last month. Since then, I've made "hand-crafted artisan coffee," meaning that I pulled the coffee maker out of the trash and make coffee by boiling water in a kettle and stand patiently as I pour the water directly into the filter full of caffeinated goodness, compliments of my wonderful university colleagues. I am the envy of my colleagues here.

Speaking of the new building--the A/C works really well. My stay-puf marshmallow man army jacket has a new lease on life. I now wear it for the occasional 0400 to 0700 watch shift.

The spring rains are now soaking the city. Time to go jump a few puddles on the way to work.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Missing you, my puddle-jumping, coffee-drinking man! We'll get some chocolate frosted pop tarts off to you double-quick :) Love to you!!

jade said...

Thank you for being there, Liam...