Monday, June 1, 2009

Day 227 In Theater--Frocking


On my 227th day in theater, I had the distinct honor of frocking (promoting) a petty officer I've worked closely with over the past few months. In the Navy, people are often notified of their promotions months before they are effective. In these cases, people are "frocked," which means they assume the uniform and responsibilities of the rank they are being promoted to but do not receive pay and benefits until formally advanced. The ceremony has its roots in Navy tradition where member's of a ship's company would be promoted by the ship's captain upon the death or departure of a senior member of the crew. The departing/departed officer's frock coat would be worn by the newly promoted officer as a literal and figurative sign of taking on his office. I was honored to perform the frocking as this petty officer advanced from 3rd class to 2nd class. This was my first frocking, and I'm grateful to this petty officer for allowing me the honor.

No comments: