
In keeping with the U.S. military tradition of doing things backwards, I have packed a very large number of "firsts" into my last days in Afghanistan, thus fulfilling the biblical prediction that "the first shall be last." Among these firsts:
- Dinner out in town with the boss
- Drove in an Afghan taxi
- Walked over to the U.S. Embassy (bought the Polo shirt to prove it. . .)
- Took two hours off to enjoy a quiet morning reading and drinking coffee in ISAF's world-famous "Destille Gardens"
- Ate a hamburger in our European Dining Facility (DFAC)--there was a good reason to put this one off. . . permanently!
- Rode in a helicopter
- Sang Karaoke in Kuwait. . . "Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash
There have been a few others, but I can't remember them right now. I'm a bit distracted. I'm in a 24 hr Starbucks on a base in Kuwait, using the wireless network and sipping a venti latte. I've dropped my weapons, armor, and most of my issued gear. I'll be traveling to my next stop in the demobilization process soon.
This journey is almost through. For those of you who are Chronicle of Higher Education readers, check out my column in these week's Chronicle Review section, "Code Name Cassandra: An Academic in Afghanistan."
No comments:
Post a Comment