Saturday, December 13, 2008

A Saturday afternoon in the garden

This afternoon I had some time to do some gardening in my little plot. It is not fenced from off from our dog and he recently dug a huge hole in the lettuce section. He scattered the seeds all over and now they are sprouting up in the rows of carrots and onions. This is my first foray into vegetable gardening. I planted three different kinds of lettuce, carrots, onions, broccoli and spinach. And, amazingly, even with the dog's digging, things are growing! I thinned out the plants, weeded, and marveled at all the lovely green shoots.

Here's the part of the garden Jack didn't dig up.

My whole garden...and my blooming aloe. Isn't it pretty?

A fabulous birthday present from my in-laws: four fruit trees! One peach, two orange and a meyer lemon.

I braved the ladder and hung up our bird feeders.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is a great birthday gift! i am hoping for an apricot tree this year, though i will have to baby it along in our climate.

digging up gardens sounds like something Finn (my dog) would do. sigh. good thing they are cute.