Sunday, November 16, 2008

Cafe?

Don't let the empty chairs fool you.  This cafe on the ISAF base where I'm stationed gets a lot of traffic.  In fact, there are four cafes on this base. . . four!  This is one of the great things about working with NATO--everyone loves the cafes.  Those of us working in my office don't get much time to go out, but we always stop by one of the cafes on the way to or from a meeting.  I had Amy send me my travel mug so I wouldn't have to rely on the thin paper cups used at the cafe between my barracks and my office.  Another NATO benefit: the cafes accept both Euros and dollars, and the Starbucks coffee pricing scheme has not invaded Europe.  Consequently, I pay 1.5 Euros for my latte in the morning, about $2.  This allows me to justify two per day on those rare occasions when I get to a cafe twice.  Ahh, yes, this is hard duty for a professor.  Indeed, there are as many cafes within walking distance as I had when I was an undergrad in Berkeley. When I get a chance, I'll post another blog on the cuisine in the dining facility.

No comments: