Seeing Liam in his "full battle rattle" reminds me of a conversation I had with our 3 1/2 year old, Dorothy, last night at dinner. My Mom, Stephen, Clare and Dorothy and I were sitting at the table and I was telling my Mom about how Liam had been doing PT that morning and, since it started to pour, they brought the guys in and did weapons stuff. The kids started asking me questions about what kinds of weapons Daddy would have, and then Dorothy asked with the sweet curiosity of someone her age:
"Is that so that when Daddy is in the battle, and he meets a bad guy, he can shoot him dead?"
I recovered from my shock and explained that Daddy wouldn't be IN the battle, but would be at a computer getting information to help the soldiers who are in the battle to do their job better. I told the kids that Daddy has these weapons to defend himself when he is traveling in the country. I said that Daddy doesn't want to kill anyone, even a "bad guy", but that he will use his weapons to protect himself or his fellow soldiers if he needs to.
Thousands of people all over the country are having these conversations with their kids also, trying to explain to them what their parent is doing so far away. I am lucky that my husband really will be in front of a computer...at least most of the time. It is that traveling part I don't like to think about so much...
Wednesday, October 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment